Dog Dies After Common Mistake, Dog Owner Posts Warning To Save Others


We often come to the internet to escape everyday stress. Fun stories and videos depicting cats and dogs doing silly things are our go-to for entertainment. However, we need these stories too. Not to bring us down, but to keep our pets safe and healthy. Sadly, for one dog owner, this story is her reality.

Christina Young recently said goodbye to her four-legged best friend, Petey, after a tragic mistake claimed his life. She wants other pet owners to know that this was 100% preventable, and for most of us, “this mistake” has already happened in our homes.

Facebook/Christina Young

Young came home one day to what she thought would be her dog, happily wagging his tail at the door, ready for a game of fetch. Instead, she came home to a quiet house and her somber boyfriend, Christian, breaking devastating news. Young posted this on her Facebook page:

“As [Christian] walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head. He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs…which made the bag tighter and tighter with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation.”

Young couldn’t understand how this could happen. Why didn’t Petey pull the bag off of his head with his paws? He was extremely smart and agile. So, she did research of her own and found information that NO ONE ever talks about. Young wants to spread the word so pet owners know the dangers of leaving potato chip, popcorn, cereal, bread and even dog treat bags lying around. They can pose a serious threat to our beloved animals.

READ  Dog Reunites With His Cancer-Fighting Dad After Hurricane Harvey Tears Them Apart
Facebook/Christina Young

“3-5 pet suffocation’s get reported every week and 42% of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about 3 minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels. With this happening so often we were so surprised by the lack of awareness on this topic out there.”

What’s even more shocking is that pet parents have no idea. No one talks about the dangers of these everyday food items and by the time many of these pet parents realize the hazards, it’s too late!

Both Young and her boyfriend Christian, want to spread awareness so one good thing can come out of this tragedy, so that others don’t have to suffer the same fate.

Facebook/Christina Young

“So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners & give your fur babies some extra love today and every day after this. I pray none of you ever have to experience your heartbreaking this way. We love you papas you were the best boy in the whole world & we will remember our good times forever”

In honor of Petey and his grieving parents, please share this story to protect other pets and pet parents from this hidden danger.

Please ‘SHARE’ to pass on this story to a friend or family member

 

Credit: ilovemydogsomuch


Like it? Share with your friends!

Comments

comments